As many of you know, I’m ‘new’ to cooking and it’s been a struggle as of recently… but I’m trying to be better about making food at home. Through the past several weeks, I’ve had to be creative and do some research on different types of healthy food. I noticed I was being boring and eating the same silly foods, which is what made me hate my regimen/want to go off the bandwagon. It’s all about variety with me! Here are a few snacks I have discovered and have become quite fond of:
1. ‘Ants on a log’ – take a stick of celery and chop it into 4 pieces so each piece is about 2-3 inches long, spread almond butter/low fat peanut butter inside the hollowed part of the celery stick and then add some raisins/craisins/dried bluerries on top of the peanut butter spread. And there you have it! hahaa
2. Homemade Trail Mix – It’s simple and there’s no real messy prep or cooking involved. I buy 2-3 different types of nuts, usually almonds/peacans/walnuts. Then I buy Dark Chocolate piece (Nestle’s Dark Chocolate Morsels are perfect!) along with a bag of raisins. Oh and sometimes I’ll chop up some pretzels and add them in too! So then I’ll get a big gallon ziploc bag and pour all the contents in and mix it all around. I then serve about 1/4-1/2 cup of the mix into an individual-sized ziploc bag. I can usually make a 10+ bags out of the entire mix. And there’s an easy on-the-go snack that I have for a few weeks. 1/4c is around 150 calories. BAM!
3. Slices of Avocado and sliced turkey meat – Low carb! sometimes I’ll eat them separately (3 slices of turkey meat is around 30-40 cals, depending on the brand) and then 2-3 (50 cals per slice) slices of avocado with a little salt on them… Or I’ll wrap the turkey around the avocado for an avocado and turkey sammich. Yummo!
4. Chips & Salsa – 2 tablespoons of salsa (I like mine extra hot) – 20 cals give or take. I’ll pack that in a little container. Then pack 9 or so chips at 130-150 cals, depending on brand, in a ziploc bag. Done.
5. Open-face egg sandwich – I know this one’s pushing it a bit, hahaaa but I love eggs! I usually get a 1/2 of a deli bread flat (which is usually 50 cals). I then get a hard boiled egg (70 cals for a large egg) and slice it into pieces and put it on top on the bread and then add some Tabasco on top! It’s gloriousss! A lot better than it may sound!
So there it is! My top 5 snacks… currently. I’m sure that’ll change soon, in which case, I’ll be adding a new post, titled: My 5 new fav snacks pt II or My 5 realllly new fav snacks. Hahaa, stay tuned, kiddos!